Vitaly A. Shneidman
Complete CV (.pdf)
- B.S., Department of Theoretical Physics, Kharkov State University (with honors), 1980
- Ph. D., Institute of Low-Temperature Physics, Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, 1987. Thesis:"Nonstationary nucleation in 1-st order phase transitions". Advisors: Academician L.A. Shubenko-Shubin, Professor V.V.Slyozov
- Post-doctoral, University of Arizona (Professor M.C.Weinberg); 1991-1992 research into theory of nucleation and phase transformation kinetics in glass-to crystal transitions
The Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowships (1992)
- Kinetics of nonequilibrium 1-st order phase transitions. Nucleation.
- Statistical mechanics and thermodynamics of metastable systems.
- Relaxation dynamics and memory e®ects in systems with large viscosity.
- Glass transition.
- Dynamic properties of the interface. Crystallization in bulk systems and in thin films.
- Dynamics of Ising-type systems
- Random walk problems. Barrier crossing. Fokker-Planck equation.
- Time-dependent non-linear stochastic processes.
- Computational methods and large scale simulations
Research in Progress
- Analytical description of finite heating rate effects in a two-step annealing nucleation experiment - in preparation for J. Non-Cryst. Solids.
- "Magic numbers" in nucleation kinetics - in preparation for Nature.
V.A. Shneidman, Heating rate e®ects in the transient nucleation problem, J. Chem. Phys. 127
(2007) 41102. Communication.
V.A. Shneidman and G. M. Nita, Collapse of transient nucleation °uxes in a cold Ising ferromag-
net, Phys. Rev. Lett. 97 (2006) 065703.
V.A. Shneidman, Nucleation rates for high supersaturations, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95 (2005) 115701.
V.A. Shneidman and E.V. Goldstein, Nucleation time lag at nano sizes, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 351
V.A. Shneidman, Branching of nucleation paths in a metastable lattice gas with Metropolis dy-
namics, New Journal of Physics 7 (2005) 12, doi:10.1088/1367-2630/7/1/012.
V.A. Shneidman and G.M. Nita, On the critical cluster in the two-dimensional Ising model:
Computer-assisted exact results, J. Chem. Phys. 121 (2004) 11232.
V.A. Shneidman, On the lowest energy nucleation path in a supersaturated lattice gas, J. Stat.
Phys. 112 (2003) 293.
V.A. Shneidman and G. Nita, Nucleation preexponential in dynamic Ising models at moderately strongfields, Phys. Rev. E 68 (2003) 021605.
V.A. Shneidman, Asymptotic relations between time-lag and higher moments of transient nucle-
ation °ux, J. Chem. Phys. 119 (2003) 12487.
V.A. Shneidman and G.M. Nita, Modulation of the nucleation rate pre-exponential in a cold Ising
system, Phys. Rev. Lett. 89 (2002) 25701.