- Ph.D., Experimental Physics, Ioffe Physical Technical Institute, St. Petersburg, Russia, 1993
- M.S., Optoelectronic Devices, Electrical Engineering University, St. Petersburg, Russia, 1987
Awards and Honors
- 1995 −1997 - Fellowship from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- 1994 - Fellowship from the Volkswagen Foundation
- 1993 - Personal Grant from the International Science Foundation
- 1992 - Personal Grant from the American Physical Society
Taught undergraduate courses of
- Solid State Physics 446
- Advanced Research Lab (Phys450)
- High-Power Lasers (OPSE 402)
- Introductory Physics (Phys103, Phys105, Phys106, and Phys111)
- Principles of Spectroscopy (Phys774).
Average Student Rating of the Teaching Effectiveness (SRTE) is 3.7 (4 max).
Advisor of the SPS Chapter at NJIT.
- Materials and Device Physics
- Raman Scattering in Solids
Materials science of magnetic and ferroelectric oxides, semiconductor nanostructures, QKD and
PMD in transmission fibers, and characterization of monolithically-integrated GaN-based
optoelectronic devices. Primary research interest is in the field of far-IR Transmission,
Ellipsometry, and Raman Spectroscopy, Nanoscale High-Angular Resolution X-ray Diffraction, and X-ray Standing Waves. PI in the current beam-time proposals at the National Synchrotron Facilities NSLS, CHESS, and APS. Elected Member of the User Committee at CHESS (2004-
A. A. Sirenko, C. Bernhard, A. Golnik, Anna M. Clark, Jianhua Hao, Weidong Si, and X. X. Xi,
"Soft-mode hardening in SrTiO3 thin films", Nature, 404, 373 (2000).
Akimov, A. A. Sirenko, A. M. Clark, J.-H. Hao, and X. X. Xi, "Electric field-induced soft-mode
hardening in SrTiO3 films", Phys. Rev. Lett., 84, 4625 (2000).
A. A. Sirenko, I. A. Akimov, J. R. Fox, A. M. Clark, Hong-Cheng Li, Weidong Si, and X. X. Xi,
``Observation of the first-order Raman scattering in SrTiO3 thin films´´, Phys. Rev. Lett. 82, 4500
S. Park, Y. Horibe, T. Asada, L. S. Wielunski, N. Lee, P. L. Bonanno, S. M. O’Malley, A. A.
Sirenko, A. Kazimirov, M. Tanimura, T. Gustafsson, and S-W. Cheong, Epitaxial Nanorods with a
Checkerboard Pattern in ZnMnGaO4 Films, Nano Letters (2008).
A. A. Sirenko, S. M. O’Malley, and K. H. Ahn, S. Park, G. L. Carr, and S-W. Cheong, “Infraredactive
excitations related to Ho3+ ligand-field splitting at the commensurate-incommensurate
magnetic phase transition in HoMn2O5”, Phys. Rev. B, (2008). cond-mat/0703255.